The Art of Sales: Building Trust and Boosting Performance with Thomas Ellis of EWC Consultants
In this episode of Revenue Accelerators, Deep Trikannad interviews Thomas Ellis, the Chief Sales Coach of EWC Consultants. Thomas shares insights and experiences from his 35 years of sales leadership and coaching.
- Thomas Ellis introduces himself as the Chief Sales Officer of EWC Consultants, a small business sales coaching firm that helps small businesses develop effective sales processes.
- Deep Trikannad expresses his interest in learning more about Thomas' background and how he got into sales coaching.
- Thomas shares that he has always had a passion for helping others become successful and developed a sales coaching business to assist small business owners who were struggling with sales.
- Deep Trikannad asks about the transition from being a sales rep to becoming a sales coach and how that came about for Thomas.
- Thomas explains that his passion for developing and growing people led him to start helping small companies and individuals improve their sales processes. He has been doing this for about 12 years.
- Deep Trikannad inquires about the type of businesses Thomas focuses on and asks if there is a specific revenue target or size that he works with.
- Thomas mentions that he primarily works with companies with 50 employees or less, and some with around 10 employees where the owner is responsible for generating revenue.
- Deep Trikannad clarifies that the owner of these businesses acts as a player-coach, being both the head of sales and responsible for other aspects of the business.
- Deep Trikannad asks Thomas to share a memorable lesson he learned from his experience in sales that has stuck with him throughout his career.
- Thomas narrates a story about a potential opportunity to work with a credit union that initially asked for a proposal without providing enough information about their needs. He explains how he learned the importance of conducting thorough discovery before presenting proposals to ensure they are aligned with the client's needs.
- Deep Trikannad asks about the status of the proposal and how Thomas went on to secure a successful deal with the credit union.
- Thomas reveals that he did not send the initial proposal and later had the opportunity to meet two managers from the credit union at a networking event. They expressed interest in training for their sales reps, and Thomas conducted a thorough discovery session with them to develop a tailored proposal. Once approved, he began working with them, resulting in an increase in car loan sales by 15% and home equity by 4-5% within six months.
- Deep Trikannad explores the challenge of sales reps being uncomfortable or lacking knowledge about selling new products or services and how to help them overcome this.
- Thomas explains that sales managers can work closely with reps through ride-alongs and coaching to build their confidence and help them learn new skills. Trust and partnership between the manager and rep are crucial.
- Deep Trikannad emphasizes the importance of building trust within the sales team and establishing a culture of support and learning.
- Thomas agrees, stating that sales managers must show reps how to succeed through coaching, going on calls, and providing continuous support. This approach fosters confidence and helps reps improve.
- Deep Trikannad discusses the dynamic between top performers, middle performers, and struggling performers and how to support each group effectively.
- Thomas emphasizes the need for sales managers to partner with middle performers by understanding their goals, supporting their development, and engaging in regular coaching and ride-alongs.
- Deep Trikannad highlights the impact of building trust within the team and mentions that establishing a learning culture can motivate the entire sales team.
- Thomas concludes by encouraging sales professionals to strive to be better, unique, and desirable (BUD) in their interactions with clients. He emphasizes the importance of continuous improvement and differentiation.
- Deep Trikannad thanks Thomas for his valuable insights and invites the audience to tune in for future episodes.
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean App.